(Year 3) Day 132 – Hurricane Sandy

October 28, 2012 – 11:57 pm 2 Comments

Well, a few days’ ago I was soaking up the sunshine on the beach – bliss!!  Then on Thursday, the weather changed quite dramatically – no sunshine, plenty of rain, and fairly high winds.  As Hurricane Sandy has moved up the coast, the rain’s increased and the wind has become stronger and stronger.  Annoying as we’d made a decision to stay here until Sunday because we wanted to enjoy walks on the beach and plenty of short bike rides exploring the OBX in the wonderful weather ……….!!

We’ve been staying in the Cavalier Motel in Kill Devil Hills and we are booked and paid up to today (Sunday).  We’ve had to make a decision today whether to move on or stay put!  I think, if we had one of the beach facing rooms, we’d probably stay as it is quite an experience watching the sea in these conditions; however, we are in a room at the back, which is very sheltered, but it’s now becoming a bit boring, being cooped up ………. and we want to try and continue with some of the plan we’d already put together. So, we’ve decided to move on and continue with the plans we had previously made; to rent a truck and drive to Washington to see The White House.  In Washington, we’re switching trucks and continuing on to Newark. However, we realise that is the journey Sandy will take, so we’ll stay South of her projected route.

 

The first problem we had today was getting to the U Haul depot, (only 13 miles away), to pick up our booked truck.  It’s so incredibly windy that we felt it was a bit dangerous for Rog to cycle to the depot.  Luckily, Glenn and Julie (Rob’s friends we met yesterday), offered to give Rog a lift there, which was great news.    It’s the same old story with U Haul, they didn’t have the small truck we’d booked, and so Rog had to take a much bigger one.   So, we’ve packed the bikes into this extra large truck and we’ve moved off the Outer Banks, (there are parts of the OBX that are now flooded!).  It was a bit scarey in the truck, as the wind buffeted us around.

We’ve gone inland on our way to Washington and we’ve stopped 20 miles South of Petersburg.  We have now moved from the State of North Carolina into Virginia.   The wind is definitely less here, but we know it is short-lived because Hurricane Sandy is turning inland tomorrow (Monday) and heading towards New York, taking Washington in her wake.  Funny that, as we wanted to head to Washington tomorrow ………!!

Again, as we did for Hurricane Isaac, we’ll have to keep watching the news and then possibly rethinking our plans – we’ve already changed our truck rental booking in Washington and also our hotel booking in Newark, and may have to change both yet again …………..

 

 

 

 

 

Digg This
Reddit This
Stumble Now!
Buzz This
Vote on DZone
Share on Facebook
Bookmark this on Delicious
Kick It on DotNetKicks.com
Shout it
Share on LinkedIn
Bookmark this on Technorati
Post on Twitter
Google Buzz (aka. Google Reader)

2 Responses to “(Year 3) Day 132 – Hurricane Sandy”

  1. Todd Smith Says:

    Yes, you may want to reconsider your plans as the damages and power outages could last several weeks in the Northeast, and there’s no telling how that might affect the airline schedules, particularly in New York/New Jersey.

    You are more than welcome to return to Florida and perhaps rebook your next flight out of Atlanta, Orlando, or Miami (we don’t have direct Int’l flights here in Jacksonville – yet!). It’s my understanding that the airlines are allowing people to rebook without penalty.

    I am on standby to go help friends in my hometown of York, Pennsylvania, so I may be driving up there depending on how things turn out.

    Be careful going too far West, as you will run into snow in the higher elevations. Really, your best bet is south.

    Good luck!
    Todd

  2. Valerie Says:

    Discretion is the better part of valour!!
    Stay safe and keep out of the way!

    Love and hugs from us all

Leave a Reply